| This article needs to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.
The specific problem is: needs general editing for accuracy of information, neutral voice Iynque (talk) 01:00, January 14, 2014 (UTC). You can help Urban Terror Wiki by improving this article if you can. Generally, this may mean re-organizing parts of the article, checking grammar & spelling, or correcting formatting.
| This article would greatly benefit from the addition of one or more new images.
Please upload a relevant image and place it here. Once finished, this notice may be removed.
This part of the guide assumes the following. You have "SHELL" access to your dedicated Linux system. It also assumes that you have a basic knowledge of the Linux OS.
1. If you do NOT have access to the user root, please skip to Step 4.
2. Login as root and perform the following command:
If your server does not create home directories correctly issue the following commands:
mkdir /home/urt chown urt /home/urt usermod -d /home/urt urt
3. Now switch your current user over to urt by using the command:
NOTICE: If you are using a different user than urt, please replace all references of the user urt for your own username.
4. Make sure you are in your home directory, if in doubt, use the command:
5. Now perform the following command:
wget <MIRROR URL>
Download the zip file NOT the .exe installer. NOTICE: You need the program wget for this, if you don't have it, please visit their website on how to install it.
6. Issue the command:
The archive will now decompress to the location /home/urt/UrbanTerror/
7. To clean up case sensitive unix paths (that will cause potential problems in case you forget) issue the command:
mv UrbanTerror/ urbanterror/
8. To move into the q3ut4 directory issue the command:
9. Use your favorite linux file editor to edit the server.cfg file as explained in this manual.
10. Write a shell script to start your server.
Issue the command cd ~/urbanterror/ to make sure you are in the root urbanterror directory. Using your text editor, make a file called start.sh. In the file you wish to have the following;
#!/bin/bash while true do /home/urt/urbanterror/ioUrTded.i386 +set fs_game q3ut4 +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 27960 +set com_hunkmegs 128 +exec server.cfg echo "server crashed on `date`" > last_crash.txt done
This script will automatically restart your game server should it crash. Useful also because a /RCON quit command will reset you server the old fashioned way.
11. You can now start you server by issuing the command:
12. If you wish to run this as a screen, which you probably do, make sure you have the application screen (if not check their website for details on how to install it), issue the command:
screen -m -d -S UrT-Server sh start.sh
This will then run the server in the screen, and you will not shutdown your server when you terminate your shell.
You are finished, good job! Now go play.